Check out some of what we do to not only assist individuals and families put food on the table but find creative solutions to solve food scarcity and food insecurity problems.
Through your support, UMCM is able to create, lead and partner in events and activities that work towards a more connected and food-inclusive system.
Jul 26: Summer BreakSpot Wrap-Up
- served a total of 48 children 301 meals
Aug 8: Distribution of milk for Pack-A-Sack program.
- Coordinating the pickup, transport, and distribution of 12 pallets of milk (1,440 cases of milk or 38,880 cartons of milk)
Aug 14: 3-7:30pm @ Childs Park YMCA: 2018 St. Pete Sustainability Summit
- FISH is jointly tabling with other urban agriculture groups to foster more growing city-wide, including edible landscapes in future city landscaping
Aug 18: 9-11am @ The Cathedral Church of St. Peter: Mango Processing Party
- hosted by the Cathedral Church of St. Peter in St. Petersburg with support from UF/IFAS and FISH
- because there's a mango bumper crop this year
- serves to educate people on how to get the most from their fresh fruit, reduces waste since many people can't pick enough produce so this shares it with the community, and helps develop a database of fruit trees in the area for future programs.
- Open to all whether they have a tree or not
- REALLY LOOKING FOR people who have fruit trees who would like to donate fruit. Volunteer teams can be sent to pick fruit if necessary
Aug 21: 9am-12pm @ PAL: Lealman Community Food Systems Symposium
- Last symposium was two years ago, which is where The FISH as well as a number of other initiatives were created
- Purpose is to update our knowledge and understanding of who's doing what related to food in Lealman so we can be strategic in our work and best leverage our collective resources
- participants will mostly be people working in food in Lealman, but open to the community and would be super interesting to someone interested in sustainability, food systems, and food justice
- To Register: https://form.jotform.com/82045829520153
Aug 28: 4-7pm @ Chick-fil-A on Gulf to Bay: #bejoy JOYFM Food Drive
- part of a larger Tampa Bay-wide food drive put on at all the Chick-fil-As for the JoyFM; donations to the Gulf-to-Bay location are dedicated to UMCM
- this is an annual food drive that produces much-needed food for the Pack-A-Sack program